1.When asked about the ongoing uproar involving US President Bill Clinton , most people say the affair involves a purely private matter . But many other people regard his actions as deplorable . I personally think the president committed impeachable offences .
2. When it comes to the increasing use of motor vehicles in Beijing , some people think that use should be limited . Others argue that the opposite is true . There is probably some truth to both arguments,but emission controls must be instituted regardless of the number of vehicles.
3. There is a general debate nowadays about the problem of itinerant workers . Those who object to the rising migrant population argue that increasing numbers lead to rising crime rates and harm social stability . They believe that strict limits should be placed on migrants entering China ' s cities . But people who favor the influx of the cheap labor force , on the other hand , maintain that migrants are needed to support the massive urban infrastructure construction program .
4. It is widely acknowledged that extensive deforestation contributed to heavy summer flooding .
Experts argue that China must introduce a massive afforestation program . But I doubt whether afforestation alone will solve the problem .
5. Most people are of the opinion that wealth provides solutions to all problems . But in spite of the material benefits wealth provides , I believe one should abandon the pursuit of materialism and instead concentrate on the pursuit of happiness .
6. Many people believe that capital punishment deters crime . But although criminologists have conducted exhaustive research regarding the subject , little evidence exists to support the claim .
7. An increasing number of people are joining the " Information Age " via the Internet . In reaction to the phenomenon , some say the Internet has removed barrters and provided people with immediate access to the world . But do they raelize that rapidly advancing information technology can also lead to intrusions of privacy ?
8. The use of guanxi is a widespread method for conducting business , but is it a wise one ? The method is now being challenged by more and more people .
9. These days we often hear about the widening gap between the rich and poor . Some argue the developed world has totally ignored the problem . But has it ? Close examination fails to bear out the argument .
10. We ' re often told that the world is tethering on the brink of destruction . But is this really the case ?
11. One of the pressing problema facing our nation today is overcoming disparities in urban and rural income levels .
12. One of the most serious problems many people talk about centers on the lack of adequate housing space .
13. Perhaps the most dangerous phenomenon gripping the nation today is official corruption , which is pervasive in all levels of government .
14. Inflation is yet another new and bitter truth we must learn to face .
15. The rapid expansion of urban areas has in many cases encroached on valuable cultivatable land , and led to a general recognition that development must not be carried at the cost of agriculture . The government has attached greater importance to the problem and an increasing number of redundant projects are being terminated .
16. There is a growing worldwide awareness of the need for strengthened environmental protection .
17. There has been a dramatic increase in the spread of HIV/AIDS in recent years , with a new study projecting that the dreaded disease will affect over 30 million people worldwide by the year 2005 .
18. Working with the disabled cannot help but leave one impressed with their indefatigable desire .
19. Perhaps no issues are more controversial than euthanasia and abortion , both of which involve taking the life of a human being .
20. Never before in history has the issue of overpopulation been more evident than now .
21. Perhaps it is time to reexamine the idea that college degrees are a guarantee of intelligence .
22. A growing number of people are beginning to realize that wealth is not the sole prerequisite for happiness .
23. In spite of the extraordinary progress made in science and technology , problems remain in terms of guaranteeing that achievements benefit the greatest number of people .
24. A famous thinker once wrote that " the greatest threat to mankind is mankind itself ! " If this is indeed the case , then the current situation should make us ponder our futuer existence .
25. US President Harry Truman once remarked : " The buck stops here ! " His view has been confirmed by numerous world leaders who have assumed full responsibility for their actions .
26. Large families were once seen as a blessing . Today , however , things are changing and an increasing number of Chinese parents realize that fewer is better .
27. People used to place total reliance on the government . The so-called " iron rice bowl " prevailed in the past , but things are quite different today .
28. We owe a debt of gratitude to the many individuals who dedicated their lives to making the world a better place . However , we must not rest on their accomplishments , but must instead work assiduously to record even greater achievements .
29. Years of observing human behavior has enabled me to conclude that the major difference
between mediocrity and success lies solely with the individual concerned . Successful individuals consistently seek advancement , while their less industrious contemporaries are merely content
with the status quo .
30. Traditional way of thinking have changed dramatically . The pendulum has swung and people are exhibiting greater open-mindedness and a burning desire to detemine their own destiny .
31. There has been undesirable trend in recent years towards the worship of money . A recent survey showed that X percent of respondents ranked getting rich as their top priority , compared to X percent only a few years ago . Why do people fail to realize that wealth does not necessarily bring happiness ?
32. Some months ago , a friend of mine was killed in a tragic automobile accident involving a drunk driver . The incident was far from rare , and was in fact typical of thousands of cases involving people dricing under the influence of alcohol .
33. I recently read a newspaper article on the rampant spread of child abuse . The deplorable problem of the widespread abuse of innocent children has aroused public concern nationwide .
34. Should parents spare the rod and spoil the child ? Opinions concerning strict parental discipline vary widely . Some view strict discipline as nothing more than a form of abuse , while others argue it is an essential factor for instilling appropriate social behavior .
35. What do you think of the increasing openness accompanying the ongoing sexual revolution ?
Do you ever fantasize ? Answers to these questions should be based on a determination between
appropriate and inappropriate behavior .
36. Why do some governments persist in spending billions of dollars on space exploration when starvation and poverty continue to grip many countries throughout the world ? This particular question is being raised by an ever increasing number of people .
37. Judging from the reams of evidence presented , we can safely conclude that the Three Gorges Project will change the lives of an untold number of people forever .
38. The ample evidence presented enables us to reasonably conclude that the scourge of AIDS will be brought under control in the foreseeable future .
39. We must seek immediate solutions for problems leading to the rapid depletion of the earth's ozone layer . If allowed to proceed unchecked , the problem will undoubtedly exacerbate global warming and threaten life as we know it today .
40. Quite obviously , immediate action is needed to extricate 80 million Chinese people from the grips of poverty in order to remove the danger of social unrest and ensure continuing stability .
41. Taiwan needs to reexamine the results of political and social modernization in order to ascertain the benefits and indeed the detrimental aspects from a new perspective . Otherwise , various perceived accomplishments might in fact prove to be far from beneficial .
42. It is essential to heed warnings of potentially catastrophic consequences associated with the Year 2000 computer bug and , in turn , to attach top priority to finding effective solutions to ensure a smooth transition into the new century .
43. It is high time we put an end to the deplorable practice of infanticide.
44. There is little doubt that immediate action is required to eliminate the scourge of corruption once and forever .
45. In short , we must work diligently to make the world a better place for coming generations . We must not persist in pursuits harmful to the environment .
46. We must avoid overindulgence and conspicuous consumption . We must instead continue to recognize the benefits of thrift in order to protect our newfound prosperity .
47. It is absolutely essential to reverse the irrational misuse of nonrenewable resources . For example , fuel-efficient motor vehicles must be developed to reduce oil consumption and alternative energy sources must be found to replace coal .
48. While achieving success is easier said than done , persistence does in fact pay off . One of the most important traits of a successful person is self-confidence , another is desire , and still another is determination .
49. Recognizing a problem is the first step in finding a solution .
50. Many of the explanations offered thus far are at least to a certain extent valid , but none fully address the problem and the issue must be examined in a wider context .